Now that our classics are dreaming about warmer times again, the batteries disappear from our consciousness. Thanks to the climate change, the season has lasted pleasantly long. And there is a chance that our classic bike has been running until November. After that last pleasant ride, he was put away, after which we were brutally surprised by the holidays. And what you have on your mind… It winterizing quite a few people have been affected, just like last year. And so what do we get from spring? Starting problems due to a dead battery. So let's already think about batteries and spring.
There are holes in my shirt
A risk of battery charging is that there is a risk of fire. If your batteries charge overnight, the risk is even greater: there is no one who can intervene in time if things go wrong. Charging batteries entails various fire risks.
- Temperature rise: heat is generated when a battery is being charged. If that heat evolves into serious heat, it can start a fire. This can happen if the battery is defective, or if the battery charger or connection cable is broken. But also if the battery charger is 'built in' and therefore cannot lose its heat. In addition, contamination by dust can lead to too high a temperature. The battery can melt or even explode, causing a lot of damage to the immediate surroundings from the heat and battery acid.
- Clear gas formation: When you charge a battery, the explosive gas is produced. Nitrous gas is a combination of hydrogen and oxygen. The gas is lighter than air. When it is released, it therefore rises to the highest point of the roof. If the ventilation is not sufficient, the oxyhydrogen will remain there. If you then switch on the conventional fluorescent lighting, a spark can be created, causing the gas to explode. And then you immediately know why it is called oxyhydrogen. And whether that also works with LED fluorescent bars? That just comes to mind. 'We search for'.
- Sparks: Disconnect a battery from the charger while the power is on? Then sparks can occur. If there is also clear gas in that space, it can explode due to those sparks.
But also when filling a new battery with acid, care must be taken
Splashes of battery acid do strange things to your clothes. And with your skin. Remove battery splashes on the skin as soon as possible by lathering them thoroughly and rinsing them well. The soap is basic. That neutralizes the acid. Covering the affected area with a potato grater paste also works. A doctor's visit may be advisable. It is better to wear gloves and safety goggles when working on a battery. And 'definitely' not your favorite jeans and shirt.
If a battery is charged, it may explode. This may be due to a fault in the battery, a too high charging voltage (broken voltage regulator) or problems with the battery charger. Wasting money is always a shame. But the very cheap chargers that sometimes lie in the offer box at the price fighter? They just stay there. A charger - or rather a battery fitness center - from Accumate or Ctek, for example, costs serious money. But is clearly the better buy.
Oh yes: Preferably allow the battery to overwinter outside the machine. And when removing, look at the wiring in the vicinity of the battery. There is also often some unprocessed suffering. And crown stones? They do not belong in a motorcycle wiring.
As an aside: provide a fire extinguisher in the key room
There are more things in the garage that can cause a fire than batteries. Also think of the peacock tail of sparks from an angle grinder. Sparking and loosely wiping cleaning cloths stand together for a fiery relationship! CO2 and BCF are very clean extinguishing agents. BCF extinguishes much more effectively. BCF is prohibited because it has an 'ozone depletion factor' - an ozone gnawing factor - of ten or thereabouts. The story behind the ban is obviously daring and bureaucratic. But that does not detract from the ban. CO2 also extinguishes without residue, but is only suitable for extinguishing solids to a limited extent and the extinguishing concentration is so high that it can cause unconsciousness or death.
CO2 has an outflow temperature of -60 °. That is also very handy for shrinking cylinder buses and such. After work, you hang the then almost empty extinguisher back on the wall and you hope for the best. Fire extinguishers used in the hobby sector are usually not checked or refilled immediately after use. That is a point of attention! Powder extinguishers are not handy in a technical room. The extinguishing agent is superfine powder that is hygroscopic and corrosive. The version for purely liquid fires is strongly laxative.
I personally checked the small advertisements after using my bcf extinguisher. The thing could no longer be refilled. Thanks to the Internet there is another one in the shed. The excellent extinguishing effect has indeed ensured that the extinguishing agent can still be used in aircraft. But yes, such a budget jet alone already emits so much duty-free dirt that such a few extinguishers can still be added.