In 1955, a special car model debuted at the Frankfurt Motor Show. That model would become one of the most famous dwarf cars in history: the BMW Isetta. It caused a stir, just like the combination with the large V8 models from BMW. The construction with special deviating track widths and the fully hinged front - which served as an entrance door - were particularly striking. This also applied to the steering column that moves with the front.
Design from ISO…
The history of the car was just as startling as the model itself. In the difficult 1950s for BMW, the management of the Bavarian manufacturer was eagerly looking for a solution to bring in cash. BMW bought the rights from the ISO company and then built the Isetta. The Germans hardly adapted the Italian design. The steel tubular chassis, the suspension structure (pulling longitudinal arms and coil springs at the front, rigid driven axle with leaf spring at the rear) and the entire body structure remained intact.
... but a motorcycle from your own home
But BMW did place a power source from its own house in the dwarf car. The 25 cc four-stroke single-cylinder was taken from the BMW R247 motorcycle. An OHV that delivered a power of 12 HP at a speed of 5800 revolutions per minute. The chassis – with two independently suspended front wheels – remained the same as the original design. In 1956 the BMW Isetta 300 was released, and the now Bavarian Motocoupé larger windows. The BMW Isetta became successful. BMW built more than 161.000 units in eight years.
This Isetta was once at Gallery Aaldering
Gallery Aaldering offered this beautiful Isetta 250 – with matching numbers – from one of its last years of construction. The 1961 example was completely body-off restored. Also, the body was completely stripped and bare, before it received a new paint treatment. In addition, this Isetta underwent a complete technical overhaul. It was a high-quality restoration with great eye for originality, details and fit. The small BMW is equipped with a manual transmission with 4 forward gears and a reverse position.
The unique BMW was there with only 387 kilometers on the clock.
The photos come from Gallery Aaldering.