Open door days. That's great, because you better get inside this summer. Where for example? How about the Gillet Museum
Well, why not in Ellikom-Meeuwen? We will explain that.
Ellikom is one of the five municipalities of Meeuwen-Gruitrode. The area is 573 ha.
Ellikom was already inhabited in the Middle Paleolithic. Archaeological traces have also been found from Roman times. The oldest written mention dates from 1314 as Elleken.
As early as the 12th century, Ellikom belonged to the jurisdiction of the Loon alderman's bank of Meeuwen. As a result, the Laathof, which was also owned by the Abbey of Aldeneik, did not have much power in Ellikom.
The parish is dedicated to Saints Relindis and Harlindis. The abbey of Aldeneik had the right of burial and the tenths of the parish of Ellikom. They later transferred to the chapter of Maaseik. And that is all just about an 140 km from Utrecht.
To the extent that.
In the meantime, there is also a motor museum, a private museum that focuses on the once famous Gillet brand: the Gillet Museum
And the Gillet Museum keeps open door day.