Transitional arrangement: conditions for gasoline classics as of December 1 back in force

Auto Motor Klassiek » Articles » Transitional arrangement: conditions for gasoline classics as of December 1 back in force
Purchasing classics there

Starting in 1 in December, owners of a petrol vehicle may park the vehicles again in the transitional arrangement for vintage cars. The month of December 2017 is still covered by the current calendar year. This also applies if someone has made use of the transitional arrangement this year and wants to abandon the 2018 transitional arrangement.

In that case, the owner may not use the public road in the current December month. The last month of this year is part of the 2017 tax period. This concerns vehicles with a date of first authorization from 1 January 1977 to 1 January 1988. Those who are not yet in transition, but wish to participate in 2018, can apply for 31 December 2017 register with the tax authorities. In that case, the classic may not be on the road in January and February 2018, just as in December 2018. More conditions apply.

Transitional arrangement and insurance: Minimum liability insurance

When the owner makes use of the transitional arrangement, the license plate of the vehicle is 'actively' registered with the RDW and the Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Act (WAM) is in force. As a result, you are obliged to keep the old-timer insured for at least third-party liability in the winter months concerned. The fact that the public road may not be used does not relieve the owner of the insurance obligation. At present, the WAM only has an exception for vehicles that are suspended.

Event arrangement in transitional arrangement

Those who use the transitional arrangement and continue it in 2018 may use the old-timer for a maximum of two days during the next three "restriction months". The event must be approved by the tax authorities and be notified by its organizer. For the purpose of the MOT inspection during the winter regulation, the vehicle may be used for a day to drive to and from the inspection station. This is not at the expense of the two days allowed.

Re-use the transitional arrangement? Pay 1 invoice before January 2018

The Tax and Customs Administration says it has sent the invoices again in relation to the transitional arrangement. The invoices must be paid for 1 January 2018. Owners of a qualifying petrol-driven vehicle - which was first put into use on 1 January 1978 or later but before 1 January 1988 - are therefore eligible for the scheme next year. In 2018, the owner also pays an MRB rate of a maximum of € 123. The Tax and Customs Administration advises participants who have not yet received a bill mid-December to contact the Tax Phone Car.

2018: not on the road for three months and not public parking

In January, February and December 2018 the vehicle is not allowed on public roads in the transitional arrangement. Parking in a public place is also out of the question. Diesel and LPG motor vehicles are - regardless of age - not eligible for the transitional arrangement. Owners pay the full rate for this, unless the license plate is suspended. Motor vehicles of forty years and older are exempt from MRB, regardless of fuel type.

Apply for the first time for a transitional arrangement

Owners who have not previously participated in the transitional arrangement - but want to do so - must register their vehicle with the tax authorities before 31 December. This also applies to the owners who did participate before 2017, but not in 2017. The Tax and Customs Administration has the relevant forms for this online available. Incidentally, the not yet participating owners of the vehicles eligible for the transitional arrangement have not received a tax assessment from the Tax Authorities.

Stop participating in the transitional arrangement?

If someone in 2018 no longer wants to participate in the scheme, then they do not have to pay the bill. In the course of January 2018 the owners in question will receive an invoice with the normal rate for the motor vehicle tax.

Transitional arrangement. For which vintage cars?

When an old-timer meets the age requirements, the scheme is possible with a

  • passenger car, camper van or delivery van that is exclusively intended to run on petrol
  • engine
  • truck that is not used for commercial purposes
  • bus that is not used for commercial purposes

You can also find more information on the website of the Tax Authorities.


Select other newsletters if necessary

We won't send you spam! Read our privacy policy for more information.

If you like the article, please share it...


  1. HELP!

    If I buy a car from 1 on 1980 March, can I still participate in the transitional arrangement? After all, I couldn't register that car before 1 January.

    The car in question has been suspended for some time and is therefore not registered for the scheme.

    Thanks in advance

  2. It's not about the car, it's not about the enthusiasts. Is just car owner to empty as much as possible. Wherever possible. The polluter paid is no longer in force and has never been. Gas is many times cleaner. The gas is paid dearly via road tax and expensive gas. Gas in Belgium is considerably cheaper while we have gas ourselves. All blackheads must be paid. Also by car. (gray license plate, double cabin etc. of that kind of nonsense. While the car hardly contributes to the pollution relative to factories, certainly worldwide. Come regularly in Canada. Everyone thick 8 cylinder, yes still a 60 cent per liter on gasoline of course. bullshit in the Netherlands, so nasty, Pffffff everything has to be taxed, but then everything, even the dead are still paying.

  3. in the quoted article it seems like what you are allowed to do: hahaha! rather say what you are not allowed to do! I only have one car. I work in the hospitality industry and there is no transport during office hours. Do I have to stop working in the winter, or buy another car for those 3 months

    • This problem was caused by people who use the old-timer scheme to drive cheaply like you do with just one car.
      The tax-free driving was intended for people who had an old-timer and use a normal car-paying car as the main means of transport.
      So or resign, go cycling if you do not want to pay it then simply pay your holding tax but you are not complaining here because you are pissed off that you are being punished by your own frugality, we are also such riders as you.

      • "This problem" ?? Which problem? There is no problem and there was no problem. Only a greedy government, preferring to distribute those benefits among its own poor rather than among the poor.
        It cannot be that difficult to arrange the MRB in such a way that you always pay in full for your first car and pay less or not for the second or your old-timer. There are various examples where such tariff variations work well.

      • Totally agree! These changes came about because a few years ago a lot of people suddenly had to drive an old benz diesel. All those extremely polluting cars that would be destroyed in Germany came to the Netherlands one by one. In addition, a classic does not belong on the street in winter !! Stop whining about the government's measures. Have you made it yourself. Do you want to drive all year round? Buy another car or pay, as it should be!

      • what a bullshit I can only pay for this car and I bought it and was mrb free, for the winter months it was nice to go to work now also have to go on my bike so asshole don't talk about frugality

  4. So 3 mnd insurance and MOT for the. . . pay without using it. What a great arrangement this is. We should certainly also be grateful for that. Do not understand that we are all pecking at the office :-(.

Give a reaction

The email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Maximum file size of upload: 8 MB. You can upload: afbeelding. Links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other services inserted in the comment text will be automatically embedded. Drop files here