The 328s were in military jargon"Big Daf" because of the characteristic, heavy engine noise and the impressive appearance.
The official type designations are composed in the following way:
- Y = military vehicle
- A = general, (F = fuel C = Crashtender)
- 3 = load capacity
- 1 respectively. 2 = the series,
- 8= the number of rotating wheels.
- In this case, 8 because the two high-placed spare wheels are counted as they are mounted freely rotating and serve as ancillary function as so-called "support wheels." switchable front-wheel drive.
- These trucks were equipped with the H drive, patented by H. van Doorne. At the end of the 50 years, factory 2 YA 328 fire engines were built. Later 2 fire engines were built on the chassis of 2 artillery tractors. The engines are, as far as known, all equipped with double carburetors. The body superstructures differ from each other with at least 3 vehicles. All 4 vehicles still exist.